Fly Fishing Safety – Thunderstorms

During the seasons when thunderstorms are a risk, one of the dumbest things anyone could do is to stand in a river and wave around a graphite stick that’s 8+ feet long. Talk about a lightning rod!

Sometimes, we die-hard anglers take risks when we should not – hoping for that one last chance at a nice fish on the end of our lines.  Or continuing to wade a river when the current is getting stronger and the water level is getting higher.  We really shouldn’t do stupid stuff like that; especially if we have loved ones that are hoping to see us again soon!

Being on the water as a thunderstorm approaches is one of the most dangerous places to be, but we can’t always rely on our observations and hearing senses to know how much of a risk we are in. Did you know that it is possible to have a lightning detector that can detect lightning up to 40 miles away?

Although some lightning detection systems are very expensive, there are others that are well within the budget of anglers who will spend $500.00 or more on a new rod. Portable lightning detectors that you can carry with you, and give you a much better idea of the risk you have while warning you about any approaching electrical storms.

Yes, it’s another gadget – and fly anglers tend to be gadget happy, but this is one that could help save you from death or serious injury.

13 Responses to “Fly Fishing Safety – Thunderstorms”

• Denice lorraine says:

Thanks for sharing the information I like fishing & to me I love fishing & I went Alaska last summer. I had a great time & I think Kenai river fishing is one of the best places for fishing.

• Carp Fishing says:

I love carp fishing and I am very interested in knowing any information on them. and your blog really very informative . me I really enjoy your posts keep it up and I am waiting for more pictures keep it up and thanks for sharing. And carpbuddy.com is a site that provides lots of carp fishing news, carp fishing articles, carp fishing tackle reviews.

• Alex says:

The number of times I have been stuck in a thunderstorm whilst fishing. I think I have finally learnt my lesson after hearing how many people have been struck by lightning during storms before.

Yes it’s very dangerous!

• Kayak King says:

It’s not the sort of thing that you ever think really will ever happen to you. I guess it does happen occasionally but to be honest I don’t think a bit of thunder is gonna put me off fishing. Well unless I can actually see the lightening, that would be stupid to carry on.

• Richard W. says:

I love fishing and I am very interested in looking further information about it.Please check Galveston Fishing Guide service and this might interest you for your adventure trip this coming holiday season.

• I have a rule when I’m fishing. If I can hear the thunder, then it’s time to come back to shore. Lightning can strike up to 30 miles away from the storm so, even if you can’t see it, the threat is still there. There is no point risking your life to catch another fish or two.

• I agree with Travis. I have sort of rule myself to avoid the storm

• mark says:

Well, check out the weather forecast before going out would be a precaution one could take:)

• Eric says:

It’s really a catch 22, I feel like some of the best fishing days I have had were when it was raining. However, I do have to agree with the others. When the lightning hits, you really have to have the self control to call it a day. It’s just simply not worth the risk.

• I’ve heard some solid horror stories from kayak fishers, about lightning.

A great reminder for myself to check as Mark said, the weather forecast beforehand.

• LoveKayak says:

Thanks for the tip, Ian. Should make it a point to get it soon before going for my next fishing trip!

• Awesome Post. You do an adequate job. Thanks again